How to Properly Store Mushrooms
Mushrooms are a delicious and healthy addition to any meal, but fresh mushrooms don't last very long. In this blog post, we will discuss the best ways to store fresh mushrooms for later use. We will also provide some tips on how to prepare them for storage. Dehydrating your mushrooms is a great alternative to eating them fresh. This option is easy to do & the costs are minimal if you already have a dehydrator. If you don't already have a dehydrator, we recommend checking the local grocery stores for a Presto 'DeHydro' Electric Food Dehydrator. This dehydrator is small enough to fit on the kitchen counter & it can hold a lot of mushrooms once completely loaded.
Things you will need to store your mushrooms:
-Airtight container or bag
Follow the steps below to properly store your mushrooms for later use:
1) Disassemble and lay out all the dehydrator shelves on a counter or table.
2) Cut the mushrooms into small, evenly-sized pieces. Only place enough mushrooms on the shelf to cover the bottom.
3) Once all the mushrooms have been placed into the shelves, stack the shelves onto each other & place them on the base of the dehydrator.
4) Plug in your dehydrator and allow them to dehydrate for some time.
*Be sure that the mushrooms are thoroughly dry before removing them from the dehydrator*
6) When all of the mushrooms are 'cracker-dry', they are ready to put into your container or bag. It is also possible to add a desiccant packet to the container to ensure that no moisture builds up over time.
7) Use the sharpie to write on the label the name of the Species & the date that the mushrooms were dehydrated on.
8) To prevent moisture from getting back into the mushrooms we recommend keeping the container/bag sealed & out of direct sunlight until you are ready to use them.
You can enjoy dried mushrooms in many ways like soup, tea, & even adding them into capsules as a dietary supplement. Medicinal mushrooms like Reishi, Lion's Mane, Turkey Tail, Chaga, Maitake, & Cordyceps are commonly used in dietary supplements across the world. Check out the 'Research' tab on our website to learn more about the medicinal benefits that mushrooms have & why we should incorporate them into our diet!
Thank you very much for reading our How To Properly Store Mushrooms guide. Please visit the education tab on our website if you want to learn more. If you have any questions about the process, please feel free to contact us at OklahomaFungi@gmail.com or 405-252-0305